Now for the design board breakdown…
1. The color scheme for your home office will be full of dark chocolates, stormy blues/grays and soft naturals. To refresh the space with a splash of color, I will be bringing in an energetic burnt orange. You desired a feeling of urban masculinity, so for the walls I would love to see them coated in a smoky blue shade (Sherwin Williams 7613). A foggy blue color gives off a feeling of sophistication and intelligence and paired with colorful accents creates an inviting place to work. (Also, blue is said to aid in productivity in a work environment). To soften the space up and add neutrals (that will later be enhanced by the rug), painting the trim in a soft off-white shade (Sherwin Williams Dover White 6385) and the ceiling in a light tan (Sherwin Williams 7564 Polar Bear) will adorn the room with a more homey, natural setting. With the gorgeous hardwood flooring you already have down, these colors will refine and polish your space.
2. This modern, rich wood daybed is both detailed and acutely functional since it can be utilized for reading/working during office hours and can even accommodate an out-of town guest. Additionally, to harmonize the space, numerous furniture pieces with coordinating dark finishes will be incorporated. For comfort, I suggest adding these bolsters in the flax color, which will fit in with the soft neutrals in the room. (There is the option of buying the package which includes the daybed, mattress & cover and 2 bolsters).
3. A clever way of adding more storage to the space to house those items you rarely use, but still need, is by using storage ottomans. This natural ottoman is both attractive and highly functional tripling as an ottoman, concealed storage and extra seating. Plus, the ottoman is upholstered in a great grass cloth adding to the texture and earthiness in the room. I suggest placing two side-by-side in front of the daybed so they can also be utilized as a coffee table. (This can be done simply by adding a tray).
4. Using these great floor pillows in both the natural and orange will incorporate a pop of color and add to the comfort and diverse functionality in the room. Integrating these on the floor to the right of the daybed (or on the daybed if needed) will help achieve a more comfortable and inviting look (especially when the room is also being used for guests, etc).
5. Frequently, you mentioned needing plenty of storage and shelving space for your books and supplies. Hanging this sleek wall shelf in between the windows will give you the shelf space you require, while adding in the steady feel of urban modernism modeled throughout the office. I suggest using this to exhibit treasures and books you want to show off!
6. To compliment the other rich and sleek materials in the room, I suggest bringing in this nifty mid-century side table to the daybed. The sculptural design will accentuate the urban modernism being showcased throughout the room.
7. I am all about a clean and clutter free work zone. That being said, using these sleek organization systems to file folders and other miscellaneous items in will give a helping hand to organization and furthering the clean look of the room. The advantage of using these colorful and fun storage bins is you have a place for all of the office supplies you have. These bins lend themselves to create a tidier and orderly office environment.
8. Here’s the practical and upscale desk I suggest for you, it’s similar to the one you were contemplating but has more much needed storage and its style will create a more cohesive look within the space. The worktop is very spacious and its drawers allow for a very organized workspace for all of your productive ventures.
9. Let there be light! To provide task lighting at your desk, throwing in this joyful orange lamp will provide a practical work light as well as another splash of our chipper accent color. To illuminate the rest of the room, replacing your fan with this contemporary bronze one will update your space and the style fits right in with the urban look we are shooting for. (The fan blades are 52”, which works well in a larger room like this one).
10. I love this plush, softly muted area rug for your home office. Definitely one of my favorite finds for the room, the gorgeous natural tones will enrich the space and its striped pattern will add movement to the space. The rug will add to the tailored look in the room while also increasing the amount of texture due to its complex cut. To ground the space, center the rug and place two of the daybeds front legs on the rug and the ottomans directly about two feet or so in front. (Go with the 6×9 size since your room is fairly large).
11. I am all about consistency; this sturdy and contemporary chair will be both functional and will appeal to the metropolitan tastes you are so drawn to. The rich tan leather is easy to clean, and it actually adds another element of texture and design. The chair is really durable, adjustable and on casters for easy movement.
12. Adding these large, walnut bookshelves on either side of the desk to create a balanced and functional work flow to the room (especially being so close to the desk). The shelves can be used to store everything from books to even more files and office supplies (popping them in the orange bins we previously mentioned). Another great way to hide paperwork (etc) is to slide these natural baskets right on your shelves to keep the organized look going!
13. To personalize the space, these large popular and posh letters would look great right above your desk for added interest and detail. Enhancing the space with personal touches adds to the character and overall look we are completing. A quick DIY project that will really add to the urban ambiance, is framing a few black and white snapshots of your local cityscape. Create a fun photo collage above the daybed with sleek frames in various sizes. (The key to a successful collage is to lay them out on the floor on first and then transfer the pattern onto the wall).
14. Finally, to finish off the space, I love to see these sleek and modern panels embellishing those large and beautiful windows you have. Hanging them about 2” from the top of the window will intensify the height of the room and complement the urban theme encompassing the room!
Oh… and for some extra ideas and inspiration…
- Throw in some orange decorative accessories (candlesticks, vases, picture frames, etc) along with some indoor plants in colorful pots will add life to the room and keep it from looking impersonal (especially on the bookshelves).
- To tidy up those bookshelves or paperwork one step further, try these cute book ends that will add charm for sure!
There you have it… your new home office design, full of urban style and function! I can’t wait to see what you think and get a glimpse of the “after-shots”! If you are in need of a custom design for your home office, click here and let us design a new story for your interior!